Monday, August 12, 2013

We have had an eventful past 12 days, some glorious weather, some very soggy weather and a little blip in our plans, just lately. We sailed from Castine, as planned, to gather with over 40 other boats for the 23rd annual Seven Seas Sailing Association “Gam” held at the lovely home of SSCA and OCC members, Dick and Kathy, who live off Gilkey Harbor on Islesboro. . Boats began arriving several days prior to the Saturday gathering. We reconnected with a boat we had not seen since we met them anchored in an unused Venetian Canal; saw friends we had been missing as we crisscrossed paths from the Chesapeake to Maine; and met new and interesting folk. Dinghies zoomed around the harbor to hang off various transoms and talk, stop for coffee or climb aboard for drinks.

On Sunday, four boats joined our friends on GLIDE and motored a mile around the harbor to anchor off their island, Birch Point. The guys joined forces and helped Denis with his porch construction project.

Island Cabin Construction

Island Cabin Construction

I took the time and beautiful weather, do some delayed fiberglass cleaning and waxing on DOVKA. We all gathered ashore for another potluck dinner: ten people cozy in the little cabin. A fun end to a good four day social whirlwind for us.

Our next commitment was the Sweet Chariot Music Festival on Swan’s Island, south of Mt Desert Island.
We had a delightful interlude en route in Burnt Cove Harbor on Deer Isle, with folks we know from home who were vacationing there. Then we wended our way through the most magnificent green, pine laden rocky islets called Merchants Row to Burnt Coat Harbor (one has to be careful with names around here) on Swan’s Island. Our nephew Tom and wife Amy joined us at the Odd-fellows Hall for this 25th year of an eclectic group of musicians, from all over the country, coming together for a week, to make music and perform three concerts. It was great fun, but…

The BUT is that I, Rebecca, began to feel sick on Tuesday in Deer Isle, and got progressively more feverish as the week wore on. We sailed back to Castine on a glorious Saturday and that evening, Amy and the girls drove us to The Blue Hill Hospital where I was diagnosed with acute Lyme Disease. So, we have been ashore in Castine as I wait for the antibiotics to take effect, which they are doing nicely, 48 hours later.

We return to DOVKA on her mooring tonight and begin to wend our way to Camden for the next set of festivities.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.